The 2017 Thunderbolt Ski Race – Saturday, March 4th
2017 RACE CANCELLED DUE TO ABSURD FEBRUARY HEAT WAVE.
11am to 1pm
THE THUNDERBOLT SKI RACE IS A CLUB-ONLY EVENT. YOU MUST BECOME A 2017 MEMBER TO REGISTER FOR THE RACE.
Race Day Timeline:
- 7:30 – Race Registration opens at Race HQ – “The Roost”
- 8:00 – Uphill trail opens
- 9:30 – All racers must have begun uphill
- 10:40 – Forerunners leave the summit
- 11:00 – First racer leaves summit
- 12:50 – Last racer projected to leave summit
- 1:00 – Race Ends
- 1:10 – TSP Sweeps Course
- 3:00 – Medals Awarded at Thunderfest
- 4:00 – Doors Open at PNA for Post-race party
- 6:30 – Drawing for Race Raffle Prizes
- 12:00 – PNA Post-race party ends
100 slots; Top 3 finishers in Alpine, Telemark, Snowboard, The Ascent, Women’s overall, Women’s Ascent and King & Queen of the Mountain receive medals
The Thunderbolt Ski Race is limited to a maximum of 100 racers and will be open to competitors of all abilities ages 18 and up. The Race itself is a time trial with the following categories:
- Women’s Open
- The Ascent
- Women’s Ascent
- Queen of the Mountain
- King of the Mountain
- NEW: TEAM CATEGORY FOR CLUBS, Click for details
- Parking for racers and spectators will be in the Glen on Gould Rd. Spectators may also park on West Mtn. Road and walk over to the Glen. NO PARKING will be allowed on Thiel Rd. There will be busses shuttling spectators from downtown Adams to the Greylock Glen from 9 AM to 3 PM.
- Volunteers will provide traffic control in the Glen.
- The morning of the event racers will check in starting at 7:30 AM in the Glen.
- There will be a fully staffed ambulance on site at Race Headquarters.
- There will be several vendors in the Glen and on the mountain during the race selling hot beverages and snacks.
- All tents and gates will be taken down immediately following the race on the 1st.
- The Bellows Pipe and the Thunderbolt will be swept at 1:10PM.
Information for Spectators
- The Bellows South Trail will allow spectators to hike to the Thunderbolt Ski Run to watch the race. This trail will be marked but WILL NOT be patrolled.
- Spectators MUST stay off the Thunderbolt at all times during the race. Spectator foot traffic must remain inside the wood-line adjacent to the Thunderbolt behind the warning tape.
- The finish line of the race is not in the Glen. It is about a 20-30 minute hike up the Bellows South Trail, depending on your level of fitness. This trail will bring you to a location just below the famous Big Schuss.
- Hot food and beverages will be available just below the Big Schuss and at Race Headquarters.
- Dogs MUST be leashed.
- No alcohol will be allowed.